If you are you searching for a creative way to say “I Love You” this Valentine’s Day, you are in luck! For months, I have been trying to come up with the right gift for my boyfriend of almost three years. I stumbled across this idea on Pinterest. Visual Heart has a great tutorial. After a few modifications, I had the perfect idea to make this Valentine’s Day gift the best yet. My boyfriend is a huge Star Wars fan, so I decided to use a Star Wars themed card deck.
- Deck of Cards
- Single Hole Punch
- Pen or Pencil
- Book Rings
- Mod-Podge or Rubber Cement (I used Tacky Glue)
- Paper Cutter or Scissors
- Computer and Printer or Pen
Step by Step How To:
- I used an extra card to measure where I wanted the holes, marked the spots with a pen, and punched the holes using a single hole punch. This was my test card. I also used this as a guide for punching holes in the remaining cards.
- Using the test card, I measured the area for my cardstock template. Be sure to punch the holes in the test card first so you know how much space you have left. I wanted my template to be 3 inches high and 1.5 inches wide.
- I then created a template using Microsoft Word. I created a text box the size of my template and copied it to fit 12 boxes per page.
- Using the font Mari & David, I typed one phrase in each box and adjusted the font size as needed.
- After printing each page on cardstock, I cut out each box with my paper cutter.
- I punched holes in each card using my test card as a guide. I actually put the test card on top of one card at a time to punch the holes. This allowed me to easily line up the holes.
- I had some brush on tacky glue left over from another project, so I decided to use that. You could also use rubber cement or Mod-Podge.
- I glued each cardstock square to the cards and let them dry overnight.
- The next day, I stacked the cards and used book rings to secure them together.
One thing I would like to note is the brush on tacky glue caused the cards to bend a bit. I personally think it adds a nice touch, but not everyone will like it. I found the book rings in the office supply section at Wal-Mart.
I hope you enjoyed my version of this fun and creative Valentine’s Day gift. I would love to see your projects as well!